The Companion to The Little Book On Line
for Teachers and Tutors
Interactive Quiz Files
Covenant volunteers have generated a set of interactive quiz files to help students prepare for the Ohio ninth-grade citizenship proficiency test.
The quizzes are identical to the first 18 vocabulary drills in The Companion, but rather than viewing the questions with your web browser, you would use the files with a shareware program entitled "Create A Quiz".
The information below describes some advantages of using these interactive quizzes, the quiz titles, and setup instructions.
Some Advantages of Using Interactive Quizzes
- Students can work through the quizzes at their own pace.
- After each question, the software gives immediate feedback so students know if their answers are correct or incorrect.
- At the end of each quiz, a summary of the questions the student has missed is displayed with the student's responses and the correct answers.
The downloadable quizzes correspond to the first 18 vocabulary drills from The Companion to The Little Book for Teachers & Tutors. The questions are identical to the questions shown on The Companion webpages, but the files are formatted for use with the "Create A Quiz" software.
Quiz Vocabulary Drill Title Questions A. Declaration of Independence 17 B. Northwest Ordinance of 1787 7 C. United States Constitution 19 D. Bill of Rights 7 E. Some Key Amendments to the Constitution 9 F. Three Branches of the Federal Government 31 G. Three Branches of the Ohio Government 23 H. Division of Some Important Powers 10 I. Voting 11 J. & K. Laws: Making and Repealing 12 L. How Public Officials Acquire Their Offices 9 M. Political Parties and Party Candidates 22 N. Political Systems 8 O. Civic Involvement 13 P. Economic Systems 10 Q. Economic Concepts 19 R. Cultural Diversity 18 S. Evaluating Officials and Issues 18
Downloading and Installing the Software and Quizzes
- Download and install the evaluation version of Create A Quiz from Softword Technologies according to the directions at their website.
The evaluation version is free and may be used for 30 days. The evaluation version is fully functional, but quizzes can have a maximum of only 20 questions. With the full version, a quiz may have up to 1000 questions.
Note that three of The Companion quizzes have more than 20 questions. If students are using an evaluation version of "Create A Quiz" they will see only the first 20 questions of quizzes F, G, and M.
- Download the quiz file (42 KB) from our tutoring website.
- Use a program such as PKZip to extract the contents of the file into your "Create A Quiz" directory. The "Create A Quiz" directory will be called C:\Quiz4Win if you accepted the default location when you installed the software.
The Basics of Using The Companion Quizzes
- To start the "Create A Quiz" program, click the Start button and choose Programs|Create A Quiz|Create A Quiz.
- After you have read the welcome message, click Continue.
- Then click Begin Quiz Session.
- Select a quiz from the list and click Open the Quiz File. The citizenship quizzes are lettered, and the letters correspond to the lettered sections in The Companion. The other quizzes are samples that were provided with the program.
- Type your name and click Continue.
- After you have read the learning outcome and instructions, click Continue.
- Answer the questions by clicking the letter of the correct response. If your answer is right, a green checkmark will appear. If your answer is wrong, a red X will appear and the right answer will be highlighted in green.
- To move to the next question, click Continue. To stop the quiz, click Exit.
- At the end of each quiz, a list of the questions you have missed is displayed for review. You may wish to find this material in The Little Book On Line to study it in more detail.
- Scores for students who have taken the current quiz are displayed on a scoreboard.
There are many parameters that you can modify to make "Create A Quiz" more useful in your classroom. For more details, click the Help & Information button on the "Create A Quiz" main menu.
The Church of the Covenant has no affiliation with Softword Technologies.
Quizzes from The Companion to the Little Book for Teachers & Tutors are
Copyright ©2000 The Church of the Covenant, Cleveland, OH 44106.
Copying or distribution of these quizzes that results in
profit upon sale is strictly prohibited.
Previous Topic | Table of Contents | Next Topic
Covenant's Tutoring Programs
Ohio Proficiency Test Info
The Little Book | The Companion to The Little Book
Proficiency Test Software | Education-Related Links
Site Map | Feedback
The Companion to The Little Book On Line
is protected by United States copyright law.
Copying or distribution of The Companion to The Little Book On Line
that results in profit upon sale is strictly prohibited.
Copyright ©1995, 1996, 2000
The Church of the Covenant
Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.)
Cleveland, OH 44106